Sunday, June 11, 2006

Falling for Charleston


We headed out of Beaufort this morning, and rode for about 2 hours before deciding to go to church. We pulled into Jascksonboro Baptist Church and walked to the door. We weren't exactly dressed for church, and we were kinda sweaty.

Luckily, Jacksonboro was a "come as you are" church, and we felt right at home. They asked us all about our journey, and a lady named Terri invited us to her store for icecream and gatorade . . . mmmmm. After visiting Terri, we got back on the road.

We busted out another 25 miles and entered Charleston city limits, and then a group of kids started racing beside us on the sidewalk across the road. In the excitement, I accidentally forgot to watch the road. My front wheel slid into the gutter and I lost control. I fell over backwards with enough time to see Tom's body flying over me sceaming obscenities.

Thankfully we wrecked right in front of the fire department. So we picked up our blood covered accessories and got the guys in the fire station to help us clean our wounds. When all was said and done, the casualties included my front tire, Tom's helmet (not his head), my front light, and my pride (i was responsible for the spill). On a brighter note, this gave us a chance to meet the guys at the fire station and invite them to our fundraiser :)

We pulled the spare bike off of the roof, and headed to find our hosts for the night. They took us out for dinner, and here we are safely on their couch. Ahhhhh . . . what a day.

~ Austin

No comments: