Saturday, June 10, 2006

Beaufort

When you consider 41 miles an easy day, you know you're adapting pretty well.

Between store runs, bank runs, and cell phone problems, we got off to a late start. As we rode over the bridge from Savannah, GA to South Carolina (our first new state!), I got my first flat tire. After Austin's three flats of two days ago, I guess it was just a matter of time. Worst of all, after I replaced the tube, I noticed a small spring missing from the rear wheel. Fortunately, we were able to pull one off of the spare bike. Even if we never use the thing, I'm glad we brought it along. At least we can scrap it for parts.

Only a few minutes after we got going again, we saw an alligator (deceased). It wasn't that big - maybe four feet long, and lying on the side of the road. I don't think I've ever seen an alligator outside of a zoo before. Maybe I'll have a chance to see some more (bikes can outrun alligators, right?).

Anyway, we rode on to Beaufort, and we got to see some really great views along the way. Almost before we knew it, we were meeting our new hosts. They seem like great people, and they've given us a chance to relax for a while.

~ Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Y'all are two hot and sexy guys!!

Sorry about your little pitfall in Chucktown. Keep up the riding -- I felt so cool when your pic was on the front page of the Chronicle -- I was like, "yeah, I ate dinner with those guys last night."

Alright -- I'm out for now


PS- Austin, how's that chaffage down under doin?