Saturday, September 15, 2007

Riding for Matthew

Today our ride is for Matthew. He is in Nashville and was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma (a solid tumor in his bladder) in January. I found out about Matthew several months ago when I was out training for this year's ride. I was wearing my Rally Across America jersey and had stopped at a gas station for a break.

A guy who has stopped in for gas looked at my Jersey and asked, "Did you ride across the country?" I told him about our charity ride, and we started talking about childhood cancer research. He told me that one of his coworkers sons had been fighting cancer. I gave him my email address and that's how we connected with Matthew and his family.

So after thinking about Matthew for so long, we're excited to finally meet him and his family. They will be at the fundraiser tomorrow. We have heard it from a reliable source that Matthew is a Star Wars aficionado ... so Paul, Kelly, and I have been honing our Jedi powers.

If you are in Nashville, we'll see you there:

5:00 - 7:00 pm
Gilda's Club
1707 Division St
Nasvhille, TN


~ Austin

No comments: