Monday, July 10, 2006

Philadelphia Rally

We started the day off by trying to round up a few more people for our Outback event here in Philadelphia. We went around to local businesses handing out tickets, and we met some women at a nearby bank who said they would definitely try to make it. We were unsure about everyone else we talked with, but time was running out, and we rushed back to set up for the event.

Just as we finished setting up, people started arriving. We greeted everyone coming in, many of whom I already knew. Luke and his family came in, and we hung out with him and with his sisters, Alexis and Isabella, for a little while. The Outback was great, with great food and great service. After our presentation, Luke's mom came up and gave me and Austin a couple of souvenirs for the journey. Then, after saying goodbye, we packed up and headed off to CHOP.

We got to CHOP, parked, and brought our goody bags up to the playroom. I arrived a couple minutes behind Austin, and just as I came up he was getting ready to teach some of the kids the whale song. I joined in, thinking we need to throw in Carsten's new verse or something, but the kids singing along seemed to enjoy themselves. We then told them a little bit about our bikes and went on to visit some of the kids on the other floors. It's a lot of fun visiting the kids on the other floors because you do get a little one on one time. The mother of one boy, Parker, gave Austin and me some wristbands to wear for the journey. I've never really got into wearing the wristbands, but I think I'll enjoy wearing this one.

Anyway, eventually our visit had to end, and after a quick stop by HUP to visit some of my mom's coworkers, we headed home to grab some dinner and get a little rest. Tomorrow we ride to New York. It'll be Austin's first time there, so we've got to try to get enough time in for him to do a little sightseeing.

~ Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Austin! Go Tom! Keep on doing a great job, and have fun in New York...:)

MA Williams

Anonymous said...

I clicked on your link in Chancellor Gee's summer letter, and I am glad to see you have made it to Philly, where I am doing research for the summer. Just wanted to give you good wishes from my temporary home in the City of Brotherly Love.

Steven from Oklahoma City, OK
Vanderbilt Engineering 2008